Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

List management

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am
Post subject: List managementReply with quote

With the recent fallout of the carlscum debacle it started me thinking on our recent decisions on our list management.
Given Bucks inherited a list from MM that he put together to play his game plan it was natural Bucks would need to adjust the list to suit the style of play he wanted the team to play.
Last year we decided not to match the excessive salary paid to dollar daisy from carlscum. On the face of it we didn't believe he was worth the reported $700k but in deeper thinking I believe it was more of what could we do with that $700k in keeping younger players in preference to paying it to one player who in a honest accessment isn't a Pendles or Swan (match winners) terms.
Given the likes of Grundy, Witts, Fas, Elliott, Langdon, and several others will in the coming years be deserving of pay increases over paying now for a player who had just lost a season with a serious injury and with no guarantee he could be the same player was a huge risk and a risk not worthy of taking.
If we decided to over pay dollar daisy on his 4 yr deal it could have cost us 2 or more of the young players we have recruited.
Moving on Jolly, Didak, Shaw & Johno (to a degree) also allows us cap space in coming years and gave us the ability to resign Beams, Sidey and Trav to longer deals now. All 3 of them have there best football in front of them not behind them. . Whilst some of these decisions were considered harsh by some at the time it appears that the club has a firm direction in mind and all of the players let go we're at the end of there careers (Shaw to a lesser degree) the club decided the future beyond 2014 didn't include these players.
In another 2yrs Swanny will be at the tail end of his career, same applies to Ball and Maxy.
My view of this is we have positioned ourselves to be able to pay a fair market value to the younger players in the coming years as they develop into AFL players.
Our list will change in coming years but the nucleus of the current list will be there in the upcoming years.
The timing of the departure of some club greats can cause angst among supporters would we prefer to go the other way and have our list comprised by poor decisions.
If you look at the way Geelong has managed the retirement of some of there premiership players and the way they managed there list ensuring they had players around the 20 - 50 game mark ready to step in immediately has left them in a good position to be a competitive side without the so called "need to bottom out" theory.
Hinds and the list management team with the coach have been smart in the past few years and I firmly believe our best years are well and truly in front of us. They have I believe a a clear plan on when certain older players will be finishing there careers and have been recruiting end developing there replacements now with this in mind.
Exciting times ahead and I think that if we get a fair run of injuries and the young players continue to develop in the manner they have shown we will be a force for many years to come.
gurugeoff 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:12 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

list management means ending player's careers and source of income. It must be stressful for those not assured of their next contract.
I don't know why Daisy is abused for taking the money and leaving, when the club will turn over, aka sack, upwards of 10 players at the end of the year. There is no loyalty coming from the club, so it goes both ways
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:36 pm

Doubt anyone can argue we've done well by positioning ourselves to be competitive against the new franchises in a couple of years even though they're bound to dominate.
But there's a school of thought out there we need to strike before said domination sets in and not let the nucleus of the 2010 side go to waste.

Would love us to go after someone like Frawley in the off-season and not let the Hawks and Swans add another big name player to their sides for a change.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 pm

We don't need Frawley, IMO we have the best KP stocks in the comp bar none.

What we need is a bit a razzle dazzle!!!

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Getting Frawley would enable us to play Reid up forward without weakening the defense substantially. Brown, Keeffe and Frost are doing the job now but will most likely get exposed against sides with decent tall forwards, neither are they in the same postcode as Frawley when it comes to class.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:33 pm

Is that the only colour Keeffe and Frost doing the job but will most likely get exposed against sides with decent tall neither are they in the same postcode as Frawley when it comes to class are doing the job?
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:47 pm

Beast wrote:
Getting Frawley would enable us to play Reid up forward without weakening the defense substantially. Brown, Keeffe and Frost are doing the job now but will most likely get exposed against sides with decent tall forwards, neither are they in the same postcode as Frawley when it comes to class.

I disagree, all 3 of those boys best days are ahead of them, all have shown great promise, I'd back those 3 in to take on the best KFs week in week out.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Beast 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:13 am

Perhaps we're yet to get to the bottom of Keeffe's potential but it's fairly clear what we get in the other two. Solid, reliable but at the same time non-attacking and fumbling backmen who will never set the comp on fire.
Frawley is a gun with plenty of Footy ahead of him but let's agree to disagree.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:26 am

gurugeoff wrote:
list management means ending player's careers and source of income. It must be stressful for those not assured of their next contract.
I don't know why Daisy is abused for taking the money and leaving, when the club will turn over, aka sack, upwards of 10 players at the end of the year. There is no loyalty coming from the club, so it goes both ways

Guru I'm not criticizing daisy I'm simply putting the point that he took the extra money ahead of wanting to be part of a potential premiership side.
The clubs choice was to look at the figure he wanted look at the bigger picture if they decided to pay it and realize that the cost would jepodize future retainment of younger players who have there best football in front of them.

I posted a week ago about was Frawley worth a chance but again his salary demands of around $800k a year would be to much of a investment in one player again that might cost us 2 or more good young players in the future.
I think we have enough developing players coming through to cover it.
As for moving on sak or other players unfortunately that's football these days.
Club loyalty can only go so far as they have responsibilities to the sponsors and members to be a competitive side each year.
Look at carlscum there membership is the lowest of the big Melbourne clubs and below both west Australian clubs and below both south Australian clubs.
If it wasn't for the pratts and Elliott's and mathieson who all tip in bucket loads of cash each year to keep them afloat carlscum would be broke.
There sponsorship income is very low in comparison to us and Essendon Hawthorne Geelong etc.
Reason for this is simple they aren't a consistent finals side and non competitive team.
Anyways guru I do understand and agree about no loyalty but that's football in 2014 and beyond.
slydog81 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 am

Get rid Of Clarke and Lynch at the end of the year and chase dangerfield.

Dont need Frawley.

Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:45 am

Did anyone read this article by Lyon in Sudays Age

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/recruiters-the-afls-bestvalue-recruits-20140411-zqtfa.html

Absolutely no mention of Hine.

According to Lyon's article, Hine is not considered to be in the top 6 recruiters in the league.LOL

Suppose we can look on the bright side, if ain't that good no one will want to poach him from us.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:15 pm

Trading shaw and obtain top 10 picks through daisy and WCE is significant in shaping our list. Scharenberg n Freeman will be quality for a long time. Then bringing in so many good kids via our mid picks and rookies has been terrific. Hine doesn't seem to make many errors in the draft. Hard to think of too many fails.

Going forward we lack young kpp. If you look at what is coming through the VFL, there isn't a kpp other than Gault. Desperately need to draft some good kpp. And that is beside Moore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: