Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mitch Clarke retires.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

During a discussion on Facebook, I had posted this..

Quote:
I completely understand where Clark is coming from with the battle with depression, not the whole sports star with it, but just the feeling of battling this. I've battled it since High School, had my serious moments and know it's very hard. Also having people around you that do not understand how you are feeling and how to fully help you.

Steve Hooker said in an interview for the last Commonwealth Games that people would be more understanding if he was battling more injuries, not battling depression, seemed a couple of others I have talked to that are in sport who have battled depression have felt the same.

Friends of mine that have taken up the offer of counseling from someone that has battled it for years, and has an understanding. Hopefully there is more understanding from this so we do not see people hiding from this in fear of being judged and told that they're weak. Because a lot of the sufferers feel that, some people have in fact thrown insults towards some because they're on big contracts suggesting that they should be happy 'cause of that, etc. It's just not that.

Best of luck to him, hope he gets better and life is better for him, I know it's very hard to deal with but with help I hope he'll be back on top living life to the fullest.

A lot of the Melbourne fans I know are saddened by the news but they're hoping that Mitch can have a full recovery and understand how tough it has been for him. And it has been tough all those injuries cannot have helped his mental state.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:25 pm

swoop42 wrote:
sixpoints wrote:
Would you be "pissed" if he had done his ACL?
I suggest you get a reality check on the impact of mental illness in peoples lives.
Numerous AFL players suffer crippling mental health issues once they retire or are delisted. Any time the issue is raised is another opportunity to be supportive.

The most tragic case is Bill Morris.
A champion Richmond ruckman.
Second in Brownlow in 1946, Brownlow Medal Winner in 1948, third in 1950. Dead at 38 years of age in 1960. A very sad ending to the life of one of the AFL's greatest players.

Absolutely.

Not at the player though but the situation they and the club find themselves in.

Still does anyone know the reason for Clarke's mental health issues?

I doubt there's a single reason—these things could have an immediate trigger, but they're no doubt already somewhat present beforehand. It's just brain chemistry.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:30 pm

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Let's be honest here for a second.

You can wish him well but you'd have to be pissed if you were a Melbourne supporter.

Perhaps, but it would be unjustified. Mental health is like physical health—you have to take care of it, and if that means leaving the game then so be it. I'm sure this isn't a decision he would have taken lightly.

I doubt anyone would be pissed with Clarke himself, more they would be pissed at the rotten luck Melbourne seems to be having with their forwards.

Clarke - massive signing who started with a bang, then was endlessly injured and now retires young.
Dawes - decent premiership forward who has shown he is very capable and dangerous when in form, seems to be endlessly injured.
Hogan - rated as good or better than Boyd, dominated against men in the VFL last year, now unable to get on the park due to injury.

If I were a Melb supporter id be pissed. So much potential and such rotten luck with injuries Confused
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:18 am

David wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Let's be honest here for a second.

You can wish him well but you'd have to be pissed if you were a Melbourne supporter.

Perhaps, but it would be unjustified. Mental health is like physical health—you have to take care of it, and if that means leaving the game then so be it. I'm sure this isn't a decision he would have taken lightly.

well said David,

I think dissappointed is a bet choice of word!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: