Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WA Senate Election (mark 2)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The Greens are the left wing protest vote, most disgruntled Labor voters will immediately Vote 1 greens. I assume the disgruntled Libs now do the same with Palmer.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:11 pm

^ I think you underestimate the popularity of Scott Ludlam (particularly amongst young voters) and the massive lack of excitement generated by Labor, particularly when they've essentially screwed themselves into losing a capable sitting senator (Louise Pratt) for an idiot who doesn't even like the party to begin with.

I think the days of the Greens just being a "protest vote" are long over—they're not all that far away from achieving major party status. I agree with you on Palmer, though.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:22 pm

They're not "Just" a protest vote party, but they're a fair way from being a major party.

They do have now a fair core of loyal supporters, and pick up the extra votes when people are pissed off with Labor. They're basically where the left leaning people go when they get sick of Labor, so they can really only grow by taking support from Labor.

Unless they actually overtake Labor as a major party, the best they can hope fro IMO is to be the biggest of the minor parties, or be the Labor version of the Nationals.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:23 pm

If the Greens were going to be a Major party they would be.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:00 pm

^ That's a nonsensical statement. All parties have to start from somewhere, and it takes a lot to break into the political duopoly that's been in place in Australia for around a century (Labor vs Liberals and their antecedents). The Greens are still battling the persistent notion that they are a single-issue fringe party with extremist associations, something that hasn't actually been true for over a decade now. The more people realise that, the more votes they will get. As far as I can see, that perception is all that stands between them and major party status, as they now have moderate, researched, common sense policies on every issue and generate considerably more passion and excitement than the ALP.

Note that they don't necessarily need to overtake the ALP to become a major party. Getting 20-25% of the vote probably puts a party in that category automatically. It's possible for a country to have more than two major parties. I'm not saying it'll happen in the next decade, but if their vote continues to improve we could well have a Green government within the next 20-30 years.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:20 pm

David wrote:
The Greens are still battling the persistent notion that they are a single-issue fringe party with extremist associations, something that hasn't actually been true for over a decade now.

Yep, they're now an extremist party with single-issue associations. Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Is it just me, or is anyone else depressed by the concept of a policy-free would-be-comedian oligarch holding the balance of power for the next three years? There are plenty of minor parties out there on both sides of the political spectrum with clear (sometimes extensive) policies, experience and credibility. Why don't they have three senators? Because of money.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:26 pm

and how's this for a comparison of headlines.

The Aged 'Labor, Liberal vote dives in WA poll'
Herald Scum 'Labor crashes as Greens surge ahead'.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: