Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What's happening with Dayle Garlett?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Skids wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
^^All we can hope is that Garlett gives the Hawks a headache first. Because he has the talent (already kicked 40+ goals at WAFL level), if he realises it he'll be a huge steal.

Showed his commitment this year in the WAFL ... a BIG f#$!* u to let this kid slip through .... ridiculous, have our recruitment people been drug tested lately??!!

Absolute bloody bullshit from the one person in every crowd! I for one would not have been a happy chappy if the club used either 6 or 10 on him...... Rolling Eyes
If he was available at pick 67, maybe. Then again, maybe not. He has a terrible history of displaying behaviours of concern.
So bugger off and don't blame Hine for being intelligent and sensible... Evil or Very Mad
Az 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:07 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Interesting, not taking him with their 1st pick tells me there's still a bit of doubt over him. Not much to lose at pick 38 and well worth the risk for a potential steal of the century.

Not necessarily. I think it's been well known that clubs have shunned him and the hawks knew if anything he was going to go late. I think it was a pretty smart move waiting for their 2nd pick to snare him just so they could get an extra better quality player. I think if the pies had a 3rd rounder to spend then the hawks would have definitely spent their first selection on him, just because we're probably the only other club that has the resources to pull this kids head in.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:54 am

Demonstration today that the wiser heads here were right all along: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/garlett-quits-hawks-20140325-zqmwh.html

Hawthorn, in a strange fit of mad optimism, wasted a perfectly good second-round pick on him.

Quote:
Hawthorns decision to punt on the talented but troubled Dayle Garlett is over, with the youngster telling the club on Tuesday he was not up to the demands of AFL life and was walking away from football.

Garlett has quit the club and Hawthorn will delist the 20-year-old this week. The Hawks will not be able to promote another player from the rookie list as a replacement for him on the senior list.

Maybe they just thought that a late 2nd round pick wasn't worth all that much anyway to a side with an already-strong list and it was worth a long-shot.

As for Gartlett himself, it sounds as though he will be happier at home in WA, where he might be able to do OK in the WAFL.

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:14 am

Tannin wrote:
Demonstration today that the wiser heads here were right all along: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/garlett-quits-hawks-20140325-zqmwh.html

Hawthorn, in a strange fit of mad optimism, wasted a perfectly good second-round pick on him.

Quote:
Hawthorns decision to punt on the talented but troubled Dayle Garlett is over, with the youngster telling the club on Tuesday he was not up to the demands of AFL life and was walking away from football.

Garlett has quit the club and Hawthorn will delist the 20-year-old this week. The Hawks will not be able to promote another player from the rookie list as a replacement for him on the senior list.

Maybe they just thought that a late 2nd round pick wasn't worth all that much anyway to a side with an already-strong list and it was worth a long-shot.

As for Gartlett himself, it sounds as though he will be happier at home in WA, where he might be able to do OK in the WAFL.

He was always going to be a risk, Whorethorn took a chance at least and didn't lose much, better them than us anyway.

Gotta be bloody careful selecting indigenous kids.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:27 am

Hine & co. vindicated by this turn of events. Hopefully the people on here criticizing our recruiting department will pull their heads in a bit and realise they are in a far better position to judge whether or not a risk like that is worth taking than we are.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:51 am

Maybe he just doesnlt think he looks any good in poo & wee!

You'd imagine they'd orchestrate a trade to a WA club at this years draft.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:07 am

Stupied wrote:
Hine & co. vindicated by this turn of events. Hopefully the people on here criticizing our recruiting department will pull their heads in a bit and realise they are in a far better position to judge whether or not a risk like that is worth taking than we are.

Absolutely spot on.

The club knows best not only with recruiting but with team selections, players, form, injuries, the whole damn lot because THEY are privy to information we are NOT, hence we can only ever speculate, guess and never make fully informed comments here about club decisions and choices.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:28 am

jackcass wrote:
Maybe he just doesnlt think he looks any good in poo & wee!

You'd imagine they'd orchestrate a trade to a WA club at this years draft.

He has been released from his contract. No trade can be made. He will play in the WAFL this year, and it is unlikely he will play AFL unless he can mature significantly.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:31 pm

I put my hand up. I wanted to take the chance & draft him.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:15 am

watt price tully wrote:

I wouldn't have been disappointed if we'd picked him up with a late ND pick or rookie pick. Hindsight is a marvelous thing. Always a shame when talented kids don't realize their potential.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:29 am

jackcass wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I wouldn't have been disappointed if we'd picked him up with a late ND pick or rookie pick. Hindsight is a marvelous thing. Always a shame when talented kids don't realize their potential.

I must admit I had huge reservations right from the very start about his beviours of concern. Hats off to Hine and co is all I can say as they made the correct decision at the time.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

I must admit I had huge reservations right from the very start about his beviours of concern. Hats off to Hine and co is all I can say as they made the correct decision at the time.

Mate, he made some very concerning comments, "cooked" is a word used by meth heads, and to use that word whilst posting a pic of himself with eyeballs resembling dish plates was less than subtle, I think the most damning thing is neither of the WA clubs wanted nothing to do with him, and they would know more than any other AFL club.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Lol, just got dusted in Perth court for a burg.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:47 pm

piedys wrote:

I mustn't be hip to slang here, but if I read this right he's been convicted of a burglary in Perth?

Great guy. No sympathy here. If you want to throw away an AFL career and choose crime instead then so be it. At least we wont have to hear what a mistake it was not drafting him (again).
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:49 pm

piedys wrote:

Case study in what could have been.

Quote:
Fallen AFL recruit Dayle Garlett may still have had a future at the top level before he was this week charged with criminal offences.
The 20-year-old, who walked away from Hawthorn six months ago, is accused of stealing a vehicle from Caversham on September 13. It is alleged he used the car during an aggravated burglary on a home in Greenmount.
Fairfax Media understands the one-time boom prospect was still being considered by some AFL recruiters, if he could turn his troubled off-field life - and stalled on-field career - around.
But it now appears Garlett will be lost to the AFL forever, following the recent allegations against him.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/former-hawks-recruit-dayle-garlett-in-custody-on-criminal-charges-20140919-10j62v.html#ixzz3Dqd05znQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: