Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Nth Melb request AFL "Ban opposition theme song totally

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:40 pm
Post subject: Nth Melb request AFL "Ban opposition theme song totallyReply with quote

Nth Melbourne put a request to the AFL that the theme song of the team that they are playing , not be played at all at their home games

Both upon opposition teams entry to the ground or if they were to defeat the Kangaroos , would be no opposition theme song played.

The AFL told the Kangaroos where to go.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd request. Worry about the big things Kangaroos, like how you'll ever avoid receiving handouts to stay in the comp.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Think they should worry about making sure their own song is playing after a game first...
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:58 pm

What a Pack of Idiots.
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:04 pm

North Melbourne has failed in its quest to have opposition theme songs banned from its home games

news.com.au

Quote:

THE AFL has quickly rejected a proposal from North Melbourne that home teams no longer play the opposition theme song before or after games to create a more “hostile environment” and maximise home-ground advantage.
Under the proposal, the away team would be simply introduced by a ground announcer before the home team entered the stadium as the club song was played.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-has-failed-in-its-quest-to-have-opposition-theme-songs-banned-from-its-home-games/story-fndv8rij-1226858410728

Hiss Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:08 pm
Post subject: YesReply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
What a Pack of Idiots.

Totally agree Dave. But I don't want opposition club songs played at our home games. It is offensive and rude. How about Clubs respect our traditions and values and refrain from provocative behaviour like this.

North are a piss ant Club that have no rights. Their song should be banned even if they win.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:10 pm

if it didn't happen and nobody saw it not happen ... cos that is the most likely scenario.
Holbrook Bloke Aries

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:45 pm

I think there's some merit in only playing the home side's song. It emboldens their supporters and pisses off the away mob. But song of the winning side, be it home or away, must always be played.

Camelia Grove Hotel - The best AFL pub in Sydney all season, not just the finals.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:58 pm

I agree with the Roos. Should not have to play their theme song after teh game if teh opposition wins. It's OUR home game. It's bad enough every ground is freakin' neutral and has no home ground Magpie feel to it, but do we have to applaud the oppositon by playing their song? It's rubbish. I'm so envious of Geelong and their set-up. Hopefully we can develop our own Magpie Nest one day. It's a big reason why crowds drop off with live TV. There's no sense of 'home' or black and white ness. Anyone who has travelled overseas to teh NBA, NFL, will attest to this. It's an EXPERIENCE like no ther to be surrounded entirely by home team paraphernalia. The AFL is beige enough ... neutral grounds in Melbourne ruin the home team experience.
derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:10 pm

North argue it is AFL coming into line with other competitions do around the globe (aka Baseball and NFL).

I have a question....why do we have to come into line with what other sports do globally? Is anything wrong with our sport doing it our own way? ...i do get a tad worried by the amount of time our heads of staff spend in North America looking for ideas. It is not the bastion of all sporting tradition.

GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:47 pm

since when have north become so relevant to request something like that
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Laughing

is this for real??
MattyD 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 pm

They do bring up a good point though.
When Victorian clubs play each other at Etihad or MCG there is no real home game advantage.
I think this brings up a bigger issue of keeping traditions. Something the AFL does not give two hoots about. Just look at what they've done to cheer squads.
I thought it was clever the way Hawthorn had a dozen or so massive flags being waved around the boundary line when their team came out in their home game against us last year. Simple but impressive. Oh and was it Melbourne who had all the drummers? That was cool.
Clubs need to be more creative, I think. And the AFL needs to let them.
But unfortunately I get the feeling our club doesn't really listen to its supporters or give two shoots about them either. Seriously.
We do need to make home games feel more like home games. I've been saying it for years. But banning the opposition song is just disrespectful and totally moronic to even ask. good one north lol
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:41 pm

derkd wrote:
North argue it is AFL coming into line with other competitions do around the globe (aka Baseball and NFL).

I have a question....why do we have to come into line with what other sports do globally? Is anything wrong with our sport doing it our own way? ...i do get a tad worried by the amount of time our heads of staff spend in North America looking for ideas. It is not the bastion of all sporting tradition.

Yeah let's fall in line with soccer. Scrap the salary cap and relegate north to the amateurs where they belong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: