Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Practice Match #2 - Collingwood vs Richmond

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It was only a VFL practice match but it's good to hear Witts stood out again.

Buckley praised him for his second half effort against the GC last week so fingers crossed he will give Grundy a run for his money as to who will be our No.1 ruck man throughout the season.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Here are my Thoughts:

Tigers fans are Feral and there where more of them then Pie Fans:mad:
Really Liked Witts Game, Great Tap Work and Marks around the Ground
Not Sold on Ramsey. Disposal is pretty bad.
Good to see the Boys down there Watching the VFL Team
Got Stuck in to the Pushup
The VFL Boys look better then Last Year Smile
Brown was Good
Lynch will never play AFL Again unless he has too. Tried Hard but Marking is Terrible and Below his Knee is Terrible.
Hudson was good. Love how IF you are in his way he goes Right Thru UVery Happy
Marsh is a Athelete but looks like a Chook With No Head out on the Footy Field. Long Way To Go.

I didn't see you there Dave, I walked past where you normally sit but couldn't see you.

anyway, I don't disagree with your thoughts.

Witts was good.
Blair was good.

Intensity was down in the first 1/4 and a bit but they lifted and it was a pretty good standard game, and very hard.

Marsh is quick, but moves fastest when the ball is in the air on the way to him. Get that same speed going when they have the ball son, watch some highlights of the Sack and you'll know what I mean. Marsh also got some serious attention to the left hammie during the 3rd. I was sitting right next to the Pies bench and he was grimacing while the bloke was really working the fingers in there.

Good to see a lot of the senior players there. Saw Cloke, Reid and Gault in the stand near the coaches box, then when I was leaving I went to go to the toilet and ran into a flock of Pies, Maxy, Elliot, Marley, Jesse White along with the 3 above. Dunnies were shut so I went to the Yarra hotel for a piss and a pot of Collingwood draught.

On that note the renovation to the Yarra Hotel is really good. They haven't turned it yuppie, they've hot a nice balance where the ferals and yuppies can coexist. Nice work.

back to the players, Brown looked good while he was on, Hudson is just a competitive beast, Yagmoor still has work to do, young pendles looks and moves like his older brother just not as slick, Lynch is playing VFL unless White gets injured or plays crap.

Overall, very pleasant arvo. Caught up with big Johnny at the train station and hung round with him for the game, had a chat to Die4Pies and John Wren, had my ears boxed in by some kid from ringwood who adopted me and Johnny and barely drew breath for 1 and a bit quarters. geez he could talk. headed into the city, had dinner at Big boy BBQ then a short session at the Mens gallery then home.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:44 pm

Okay, have now finally got back to the MagpieBatcave after the drive home from Melbourne. Here are my thoughts:

2. Sam Dwyer
Dwyer was solid, if unremarkable. Better in the 2nd half than the 1st. First game back off an interrupted pre-season, so that's to be expected. Best bit of play was when he passed in inside 50 into space for Lynch to get separation and take the mark he got his first goal from.

That kick right there is why Dwyer is definite best 22: he is the guy you want putting it inside 50 for Cloke. And in light of Fasolo's speculated struggle to get fit (hasn't played since Wangaratta), Sam becomes even more important. Also layed a couple of nice tackles, something he is not renowned for. Hard to see him getting up for Freo next week, so with the spilt round, he probably plays the next couple of weeks in the VFL.

11. Jarryd Blair
Blair was unremarkable for the 1st half. Again, his first game back from an injury, so you cut him some slack. He still burrows in with the heart of a lion, but that's about the limit of his powers. His 2nd half was better, setting up a couple of our goals, even sold a bit of candy ala Krakouer at one point. As with Dwyer, I can't see him coming in underdone against Freo, so he probably plays the next fortnight in the VFL as well. Of course, I would have him playing VFL until he is absolutely needed, but that's another unpopular cause which I will live to fight for another day...

15. Jarrod Witts
The big arse giant probably did earn Pies4shaw's declaration as our best on ground. I thought he was pretty good. His final quarter, in particular, is some of the best footy I've seen him play yet. He took a couple of relieving marks in defence at key moments, dropping back into the hole to help out the backs, which in a ruckman is just worth its weight in gold.

He was leaping at centre bounces as well, which has not been his thing up until now. His tap work has also improved (the Jarrod Witts of 2012-13 would just smack the ball down the throat of opposition mids without guidance). One great piece of play was in our forward 50, where he put a guided missile straight down the throat of Ben Moloney, who kicked the goal.

Now, it must be said, Witts benefited at that particular stoppage through his opponent being caught at sixes and sevens, but again, the Jarrod Witts of 2013 would have just tapped the ball first and thought about guidance later. Good stuff.

Over the pre-season, I've had Grundy pencilled into my senior 22 as the #1 ruck, but given that Witts has (arguably) had the better practice match campaign form, I'm almost inclined to flip back the other way and give Witts the first crack at that spot, which for a player who I have had serious doubts on whether he can make it, is just terrific.

He still has a good way to go before he becomes something, but
he took a step forward today. A modest step, but a not insignificant one nonetheless.

16. Nathan Brown
Slotted back in as though he had never left. Wasn't beaten and even succeeded in coming off his man to drop into the hole and mark a couple of times. Reliable as ever, at least when the coach has an inkling of how to match him up right. Comes back for round 1, for mine, and goes to Pavlich (who, it must be said, kicked a bag on him last time they crossed swords, so I don't know whether to be bullish or terrified).

21. Quinten Lynch
I kind of liked Lynch's game on the whole. Yes, he did have a number of moments where you just had to facepalm, but his job would have been easier had he been on the receiving end of better delivery from the mids; often he would be having to jump for the ball which was put well over his head. He also got crucified by the umpires (his man was holding him time and again, yet the maggots weren't interested. What's new?)

His work rate is fantastic, which is what you want to see. His marking I felt got better as the game went on, and of course, he kicked a couple of goals. He played as our centre half forward, which is not the role he would play in the senior side. I wouldn't be writing him off yet.

25. Ben Hudson
In short, Huddo was Huddo. You know what you're going to get from him - a physical contest, good service in the ruck, follow up efforts that Darren Jolly could never do in the end, a reasonable pinch-hitter in the forward line, a solid backup to Witts, and some great sledging. Truly, an inspired recruiting choice. I can't think of a better mentor to Witts and Grundy.

31. Jackson Ramsay
Thought he was solid. Still has a fair way to go, but remember he has missed a lot of footy. Can execute some lovely passes, but also some shoddy ones. Made a few awful mistakes which lead to Richmond scores. The gap between his best and his worst will narrow with time.

34. Alan Toovey
He's BACK! Just has slotted back into football as though he never left. Had the job on Aaron Edwards on Jake King at times and beat them both convincingly. Had one heart in the mouth moment where he got flattened (right in front of me) and for a terrible moment, I thought he had been injured again. Alas, he got back up and went back to it, and all was well in the world of Possum Magic again.

His kicking is as average as ever, but that's Tooves, we know who he is. One minute he will kick a serviceable pass, the next minute he botches the crucial one in the chain down the wing (which he did spectacularly at one point). That being said, he is a master of his particular craft, so ordinary kicking is just something we have to live with.

Looked fit enough and ran the game out well, even if his minutes were managed. I would have no hesitation in starting him for round 1. Big ask, but the split round will work in his favour. Only question is, who does he go to? Walters, Ballantyne as smalls, or Mayne as a taller runner?

Either way, it's good to have you back, Tooves.

38. Peter Yagmoor
Possibly his most memorable contributions were a couple of good tackles to effect free kicks for holding the ball (one in particular on the Ryder Stand wing was just delightful to watch). Passed the ball well by foot at times, but I just don't see him making it. Now into his third year and still looks unimpressive a lot of the time. Just isn't damaging enough often enough. Still, give me the choice between two timid, unaccountable half back flankers in Yagmoor and Armstrong, and Peter wins every time.

46. Jonathon Marsh
In simple terms, he is a tall, thin and incredibly fast chicken with his head hacked off. Just like his performances in the NAB series, he was awful, even downright incompetent at times. Spilled a couple of simple chest marks and tried maybe a couple times too many to do that super-charged fend off move of his. Still, a 191cm player who can outrun The Flash is not something you sneeze at, but we must summon the will to be patient with this kid. And when I mean patient, I mean several years worth of development kind of patient. Not a senior side prospect for the foreseeable future.

48. Caolan Mooney
Was finally switched to the one part of the ground where I can see him making something of himself in - defence. Specifically, the back pocket. Had the first crack at Jake King and kept him quiet. Still is prone to some God-awful mistakes at times (one of which directly led to a Richmond goal), but has the physical traits to make one of the most unlikeliest of small defenders. Top marks to the coaching staff for having the courage to play him behind the ball.

From our VFL-listed boys, some quick observations:

- Jack Hellier was a terrier at the stoppages as always. Fantastic to have him go around again for our VFL outfit.

- Ben Moloney is a gun at this level. Ended up finishing as our leading goal kicker for the day and made an effective partnership of sorts with Witts at centre bounces and stoppages. Showed how badly we missed him in the 2nd half of 2013. Having Moloney, Hellier, Martin, Suckling, Couch, Thomas and Blair as part of our VFL midfield rotations will go along way to giving us a bloody strong VFL side this year.

- Tim Allan did what he always does, fills a role where need be and just went about his work. His versatility to play at either is just great to have, especially up forward where he provides a decent alternative tall target.

- Ned McKeown had a non-existant 1st half, but a great 2nd half. In particular, his final quarter, where he was in everything, from pumping kicks inside 50 to marking in front of goal. He sure does look like his old man Ronnie!

- Jack Blair is the spitting image of his brother, and plays like him too.

- Josh Turner (#29) got a heap of it and I thought played real well. Also a ranga which, given he played well, helps excise the memories of Tom Young and Jason Wilde.

- Lachlan Wallace is another little terrier, and impressed me with some of his desperation at ground level at times.

- Lachlan (Sir Alex) Ferguson is another handy little player who helped set up some pushes inside 50 pretty well. Best highlight was his pass inside 50 that Witts pulled down for his second goal, was just beautiful to watch.

- Lachlan Howe (we're stockpiling a lot of Lachlans!) was serviceable as a key defender, but was playing in an unusual position, given his bio states that he is a ruck-cum-forward. Once Frost returns to the VFL team, we'll hopefully see Howe played forward.

That's about it.

Finally, can I just say how great it is to be back at Victoria Park again. Wasn't the biggest crowd, but those in attendance were into the game as though it was for 4 points (myself included, while the Richmond cheer squad were their noisy usual selves).

As I said earlier, I'm already looking forward to getting back there next Saturday.

C'arn the Pies!

Last edited by MagpieBat on Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:52 pm

Fantastic report MagpieBat. It's greatly appreciated Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Also a nice summary by Stui as well Smile. Well done guys!

Love hearing Witts, Toovey and Dwyer all playing well. Toovey is a player we desperately need because our defence is vulnerable at the moment. He'll be a big inclusion into this side this year! Great to heat Witts playing well and hopefully we see further improvement from him this year and Dwyer should be playing senior footy regularly this year.

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:00 am

Jezza wrote:
Fantastic report MagpieBat. It's greatly appreciated Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Well, I aim to please. Glad you enjoyed it.

Forgot to add, our bests (for mine): Witts, Lynch, Moloney, Toovey, Brown.
melliot 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:04 am

Witts a better match up for Sandilands than Grundy?
dsav 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:05 am

I was taking photos on behalf of Richmond today (go easy on me) but there are a few of Collingwood in the album as well that might be worth a look.
http://www.davesavell.com/p927144765

Dave.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:07 am

Thanks for the photos Dave! However why are you taking photos on behalf of Richmond? I had to ask Razz
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am

Young Ned McKeown only played the last quarter but had a huge impact laying two bone jarring tackles, a couple of inside 50s and one goal from two shots.

We had a 28 man squad today and a few players got very limited time.
I am hoping he gets a full run against Essendon.

Ron was very pleased with Ned's output and is hopeful Ned will get in the development squad.

dsav 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:19 am

Jezza wrote:
Thanks for the photos Dave! However why are you taking photos on behalf of Richmond? I had to ask Razz

Richmond asked if I would cover this game for them (I do games and other club related stuff for a few clubs and the VFL Record).
Difficult only supporting one club as photographer...

Dave.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:20 am

dsav wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Richmond asked if I would cover this game for them (I do games and other club related stuff for a few clubs and the VFL Record).
Difficult only supporting one club as photographer...

Dave.

That's fair enough mate! Nice photos by the way Smile

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:08 pm

die4pies wrote:
Young Ned McKeown only played the last quarter but had a huge impact laying two bone jarring tackles, a couple of inside 50s and one goal from two shots.

We had a 28 man squad today and a few players got very limited time.
I am hoping he gets a full run against Essendon.

Ron was very pleased with Ned's output and is hopeful Ned will get in the development squad.

Yeah, thought I'd read in one of the official summaries that he didn't get a chance till late in the game but made every post a winner once he did. Love the romance of F/Ss. Unless I'm mistaken, he's eligible to F/S in the 2014 ND so hopefully he has a blinder this year.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:24 am

Photos from the win:

MORE>>>

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:02 pm

^^^

Great Pictures Again Smile

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks for the photos Shane! Great stuff Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7   

Jump to: