Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Manchester City acquires Melbourne Heart

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:41 pm
Post subject: Manchester City acquires Melbourne HeartReply with quote

WOW Very Happy

The Melbourne Heart has confirmed the A-League club has been acquired by a consortium led by English Premier League powerhouse Manchester City.

The 80 per cent acquisition will be completed by another consortium - which includes the owners of the NRL's Melbourne Storm - in a 20 per cent minority share

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-23/manchester-city-gets-controlling-stake-in-melbourne-heart/5214690?section=sport

Also Melbourne Heart to be named Melbourne City (unconfirmed)
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucky that there is a Salary Cap because They would have the best side in Australia by that far it would not be funny
sixpoints 

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Lucky that there is a Salary Cap because They would have the best side in Australia by that far it would not be funny

The salary cap was partly the reason Man City chose to purchase a club in Australia. They wanted a foothold in Asia, and the salary cap here provides a level of stability in the league that is lacking in other Asian leagues.
Being Abu Dhabi backed, Man City are wallowing in money. They will need to satisfy UEFA's new financial guidelines next season however and that may diminish their free spending somewhat.
But by purchasing a club here for "only" $11 million, it doesn't need much in their eyes to be worth it.
It raises their profile here and the way transfers are in Europe, just one decent player developed here who ends up at Man City would easily offset all those costs.
They are not in it to dominate the A League, they want a clear direction and pathway from Australia/Asia developed. Next step will be an academy, better facilities and perhaps a funneling in of promising juniors.
They've done this as well in the US, where a new club, New York FC is under their ownership.
I can't see anything wrong with this at all.
And 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:15 am

Sounds OK.

http://www.mcfc.com/News/Club-news/2014/January/Club-announcement-22-January-2014

Quote:
Ferran Soriano, CEO of Manchester City, said: "We are excited about the opportunity to make Melbourne Heart one of the most successful football clubs in Australia and throughout the region.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:24 pm

Damn it. I've been a City supporter from afar since the late 70's (having lived in a share house with two Mancurian brothers who got me in early) & I follow Victory here (well sort of).

What's a poor boy to do?

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:56 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Damn it. I've been a City supporter from afar since the late 70's (having lived in a share house with two Mancurian brothers who got me in early) & I follow Victory here (well sort of).

What's a poor boy to do?

Join us Wink
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:12 pm

At least Victory is an Australian club. Razz

And there's only one club in Manchester and it isn't "Citee". Some Arab sheik has spent the earth and bought success for the sky blues.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:48 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

The salary cap was partly the reason Man City chose to purchase a club in Australia. They wanted a foothold in Asia, and the salary cap here provides a level of stability in the league that is lacking in other Asian leagues.
Being Abu Dhabi backed, Man City are wallowing in money. They will need to satisfy UEFA's new financial guidelines next season however and that may diminish their free spending somewhat.
But by purchasing a club here for "only" $11 million, it doesn't need much in their eyes to be worth it.
It raises their profile here and the way transfers are in Europe, just one decent player developed here who ends up at Man City would easily offset all those costs.
They are not in it to dominate the A League, they want a clear direction and pathway from Australia/Asia developed. Next step will be an academy, better facilities and perhaps a funneling in of promising juniors.
They've done this as well in the US, where a new club, New York FC is under their ownership.
I can't see anything wrong with this at all.

If there was no Salary Cap the Team they could build would be Miles better then any other side in the A-League

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:49 pm

collie dog wrote:

And there's only one club in Manchester and it isn't "Citee". Some Arab sheik has spent the earth and bought success for the sky blues.

Spot On - Victory is an Aussie Club and not just a Arab's/Foreigner Plaything Wink

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:32 pm

collie dog wrote:

Couldn't care less where our owners are, the clubs in Melbourne.

Secondly. The rags aren't even in Manchester, they're in Trafford lol. Not that I care anyway, COYG.

lol Dave, don't act like you're not jealous Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: