Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

North Korea

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 pm
Post subject: North KoreaReply with quote

Should the latest threats by the North Koreans be taken seriously or are they all talk and no action?

Also, we've seen that the North Koreans have ended their peace pact with the South Koreans in the wake of UN sanctions a few weeks ago. Is this a sign of things to come?

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/world/us-ready-for-any-eventuality-on-n-korea/story-e6frfkui-1226608899334

Last edited by Jezza on Wed May 13, 2015 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing in The Age about it, so hopefully all's ok. Neutral
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:47 am

David wrote:
There's nothing in The Age about it, so hopefully all's ok. Neutral

^ clang http://www.theage.com.au/world/movement-at-nkoreas-missile-sites-source-20130329-2gyqj.html

The NK political system relies on patriotism. paranoia, and public panic. They have to have these big war scares every year or two or people start thinking about pots and rice to put in them and housing and education and health and democracy and .... Did somebody just say democracy!!! People mustn't think! Time for another war scare! We have seen this sort of power retention tactic here too (remember the babies overboard?) and in the United States (the post-911 panic; GW Bush's "war of terror", sorry on terror) but the NT kooks in charge make our kooks in charge look almost rational.

Ignore it. The whole thing is for NK domestic consumption only. They are not interested in having a war, only in i]nearly[/i] having one.

Unless, of course, there is a little accident and one of their the air-punches really lands, in which case the Yanks will wipe them off the face of the planet and no-one will care. Well, no-one that's still alive. The poor workers and peasants of North Korea will care, but they will all be dead.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 pm

While I agree with all of what Tannin has stated and we have seen all this huff and puff before I do have this worrying feeling that this time it's more serious than ever before.

If North Korea were to say act in a similar way when they bombed South Korea's Yeonpyeong Island the results this time will be greatly different.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:15 pm

The North's best ballistic missile can barely reach Japan so I presume they intend to attack the West-Coast from a podium off the LA shore.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:00 pm

Well, they do threaten to make the latter stages of th finals sometimes. Consider them an outside chance in brazil at best.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:34 pm

it worries me. they tore up the agreement they had with Sth Korea which was forged in 1953. 60 years ago this year.

And i'm sure the Sth Koreans are worried.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:43 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-03-30/north-korea-enters-state-of-a-war-with-south/4601962

Sounds a little more unsettling. Hopefully it is all just an exercise in propaganda on North Korea's part.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:44 pm

I'm so ronery.

http://www.theage.com.au/world/kim-wants-to-be-remembered-for--anything-20130330-2h08f.html

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:31 pm

I'm not sure if having a meeting with Dennis Rodman makes him more or less likely to nuke South Korea.

Weird yes but totally bonkers?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:48 pm

Apparently, Dennis Rodman was the first American that Kim Jong-Un has met!

:

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:58 am

No, South Koreans are not more concerned about this than usual. A new government was elected back in November and took over after the lame duck session at the start of March; shenanigans were expected both before and after, particularly to assert the identity of the new NK leader.

Please note the media which reaches your ears in Australia includes a lot of batshit comments by North Korea and the futile parsing thereof, as well as headlines generated by interviews with fundamentalist apocalyptic Christians on street preaching duties in downtown Seoul. Add that to paranoid nutbaggery elicited from whacko conservatives in Japan and the US, and the picture you get is about as accurate as Lance Franklin in a grand final.

South Korea, China, the US and Japan are always on alert, hence the overwhelming forces in the region. Yes, anything theoretically could happen, but for the 28th time, the likely risk is not North Korea attacking, but North Korea collapsing, leaving a no-man's land up for grabs between China and SK/US/Japanese forces, as sad as that fact is for the suffering population of NK.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:09 pm

pietillidie wrote:
No, South Koreans are not more concerned about this than usual. A new government was elected back in November and took over after the lame duck session at the start of March; shenanigans were expected both before and after, particularly to assert the identity of the new NK leader.

Please note the media which reaches your ears in Australia includes a lot of batshit comments by North Korea and the futile parsing thereof, as well as headlines generated by interviews with fundamentalist apocalyptic Christians on street preaching duties in downtown Seoul. Add that to paranoid nutbaggery elicited from whacko conservatives in Japan and the US, and the picture you get is about as accurate as Lance Franklin in a grand final.

South Korea, China, the US and Japan are always on alert, hence the overwhelming forces in the region. Yes, anything theoretically could happen, but for the 28th time, the likely risk is not North Korea attacking, but North Korea collapsing, leaving a no-man's land up for grabs between China and SK/US/Japanese forces, as sad as that fact is for the suffering population of NK.

pardon If this is a dumn question, but are you in the north or south?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Laughing Sorry, TP, that is pretty funny. Laughing
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23   

Jump to: