Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

David's European tour

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:18 pm
Post subject: David's European tourReply with quote

Lola and I are planning a trip to Europe in March. It'll be the first time I've been overseas, and we're trying to save up the minimum needed to spend about 6-8 weeks over there.

We particularly want to go to France, the UK and Ukraine, and we've also discussed Germany, Portugal, Russia, Czech Republic, Russia and Scandinavia. Obviously our time and money is limited, and we'd rather spend lots of time in a few countries rather than short periods of time in many countries.

The reason I'm posting this here is to get some advice from other European travelers on where to go. As you may expect, I have slightly unusual preferences:

I like abandoned buildings and decrepit architecture.
I've always wanted to see a castle.
I don't care much about weather, but I prefer cold to heat.
I hate tours, cruises and (in general) tourist attractions with a passion.
I like small, obscure countries like Andorra and Liechtenstein.

Any thoughts on where/how I should go and what I should do there? Smile

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford it, Norway is incredibly beautiful and Oslo has the best dozen rock and roll bars in Europe. Tromso in the far north is great too (and it's bloody cold). Downside is cost, both in getting there and once you make it.

If you're around at the same time and you're interested, I'll be tour managing HITS during April-May through Amsterdam, Germany and France, where most of the dates are scheduled. PM if keen.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:22 pm

Whatever you do, don't go tight arse with travel insurance. It might seem like a waste of $300-400 now, but when you need medical help in Estonia or Macedonia, you'll be most grateful.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:37 pm

Cheers PP and WIAN. Both good suggestions.

Any British/European magpie supporters willing to put us up for a couple of nights? Smile

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:42 pm

Brilliant advice, also for your belongings.

My sister went to the world champs in indonesia a few years back, and they lost her luggage.

She only had her main playing racket on her, she had to buy everything else from undies to shampoo and back.

The Aussie team sponsors got her uniforms and spare rackets but it took a couple of days (I had to organize it from here, what a nightmare!)

She was only 16 at the time, lucky my older sister was with her, so she took control, but you would be surprised just how much money all that stuff in your suitcase comes to.

When we went to the US 18 months ago, the mum from the family we went with went to emergency because she wasn't feeling well. They prescribed travel sickness tablets and sent her home, the bill was in the hundreds. Their travel insurance paid the lot.

If your doing that big a trip, I'd go gold class on the insurance!

Ps, I lived in Cyprus as a youngster, the pics from there are truly amazing, it's so old, lots of ruins of castle like buildings, I'm guessing you'd love it! Probably a bit out of the way though.

I reckon Scandinavia would be awesome.

Good luck!

Black_White Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:26 pm

France hey?
Are you going to pop the big Q in the shadow of the tower?
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:01 pm

I'd be surprised and frankly disappointed if David went for something so cliched Razz Laughing

Being the closest this board has to an actual contrarian (as opposed to the jack_spain self-proclaimed type), I'd expect him to do it in one of those abandoned buildings with decrepit architecture he seems to like so much. Possibly in Andorra or Lichtenstein. In freezing weather.

Hey David, just an idea Wink

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:15 pm

For castles and an abundance of old ruins Great Britain has a lot to offer. Some of the best preserved and ruined castles in Europe, plus ruins stretching back to the Bronze Age. Southern Europe is dotted with Roman and Greek ruins, as is Turkey. If you are interested do some research on the net first and plan a bit of an itinerary. If you want the ultimate in ruined castles, Vlad Dracul's ruined castle still exists in Romania. Smile
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:19 pm

You'll have to do a little "David dancing around Europe" video like that guy Matt did a few years ago when he travelled around the world.

Maybe you could wear you Collingwood jumper a different locations and be videoed singing the Collingwood theme song then when you come home edit pieces of the song from different locations altogether.

For inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaaVSQQyrLI

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:14 am

Pied Piper wrote:
I'd be surprised and frankly disappointed if David went for something so cliched Razz Laughing

Being the closest this board has to an actual contrarian (as opposed to the jack_spain self-proclaimed type), I'd expect him to do it in one of those abandoned buildings with decrepit architecture he seems to like so much. Possibly in Andorra or Lichtenstein. In freezing weather.

Hey David, just an idea Wink

Lol. Er... guys? We've been engaged for six months now. Razz

But yes, I did do it in freezing weather, except on a footpath in Brunswick. Mr. Green

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 am

I like the dancing around europe idea! Go for it!
annewilo 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:37 am

David wrote:
Cheers PP and WIAN. Both good suggestions.

Any British/European magpie supporters willing to put us up for a couple of nights? Smile

I will pm you Mark Pitura email addy. He is the president of the Putney Magpies and can put a call out to the club to see if anyone can put you up for a few days on a couch in Ealing Broadway or somewhere. Speak to me first before approachng him, I will write to him and see if they need anything from the club and you can take it with you as a gesture of your appreciation if someone puts you up!I will also contact the club to see if they can donate whatever item they may need. Let me know your dates.

To be honest, I would be suggesting Italy and France are mandatory. Especially on the ruins side of it for Italy. I have to say that both these countries are top of my list and we spent many months in both when I lived there.

Venice is the city of love, Florence is an art lovers heaven, Rome is amazing with ruins and the Amalfi coast gives you Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri and the most incredible coast line in the world. France and in particular Paris has great history as being one of the only European places of culture that didn't get bombed in WWII, so all the historic buildings and walkways are fully untouched.

I also recommend one bag only. A back pack, as carrying anymore can be a disaster. When we did holidays and I went for business, a back pack was all that was needed.

And where possible, hire cars as they are cheap as over there or take the train. You will see way more. The Europass is good if you can afford it, otherwise just hop on a train. In Italy you can travel second class, so its cheaper and there are trains running all the time between the major cities and you do not need to book, contrary to what your travel agent might say or want to sell you.

If you go between London and France, try and take either the ferry from Dover or take the Eurostar from London or go down to Ashford and catch it there after dropping down to the cliffs of Dover. The French provincial areas are lovely, and the South of France is divine and the beginning of the Rivierra. I also highly recommend Switzerland as it has a lot of lovely scenic places to visit and the train from Geneva to Zurich is cheap and you see the whole country in one day.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:57 am

Thanks Anne. I think we are considering the eurail, and will probably be stopping in Switzerland as Lola has an aunt there.

Our dates are still a little vague, so I wouldn't go to too much trouble just now in terms of contacting people, but thanks for the suggestion. Smile

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:08 am

David, if you're wanting to crash with a stranger for a bit, you may want to rectify some of the things in the 'laziness' thread.... Wink
annewilo 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:09 am

luvdids wrote:
David, if you're wanting to crash with a stranger for a bit, you may want to rectify some of the things in the 'laziness' thread.... Wink

lol
and the wearing of the girlfriends knickers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: