Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies should focus on premiership, not Thomas

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:10 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just heard this on 360, and it's horrifying, given that everyone rumored to be going to Gold Coast last year went to Gold Coast.

Aside from having pipped (or at least equalled) Dids as my favorite player last year, Daisy is easily one of the 2 or 3 most important guys at the club as regards our premiership aspirations in the near future. There are obviously several guys in our side that can change a game including Pendles, Swanny, Heater, Dids, and half a dozen others. The 2 guys I was most worried about losing were Daisy and Pendles, as they are the ones that I believe can turn a game off their own boot, but for me Daisy is the most important because he is an emotional player, a player who can lift those around him, a player who can do the unexpected, and a player who combines the party tricks of Kraks or Didak with the work ethic of Ball or Tooves.

We've seen how he goes in finals, and I believe he was THE most important guy in our side in the 2010 series. The excitement and lift he can provide with a kick, mark or goal has developed into a phenomenon this year, the torpedo goal, the speccy over Natinui, the bursting runs down the flank ending in a lace out to a Cloke or Dawes, the unseen gut runs the length of the field to be on his own in the square to recieve a pass from Did's or Swanny, the guy has got it all!

But it's more than that, its a vital part of our ethos that Collingwood remains the one side whose players can't be poached, because for us it's about more than just money. It's about unfinished business, it's about playing for your mates, and Playing for the jumper. If anyone personifies that ethos it's Daisy. Anyone who has seen CTV knows how much he enjoys playing for Collingwood and playing with his mates. If Daisy walked it would be far worse than simply losing an elite player, it would mean that the magpie ethos is nothing more than a myth, and that loyalty means nothing in the modern game.

I have been hoping more than anything to hear the news that we've signed Daisy until 2015, but instead I hear Gerard & Robbo talking about his departure to GWS as a done deal (I actually wrote 'fait d'accompli', but then I remembered where I was!). On top of the news that he had his brownlow chances stolen, (I had dollars on him! mongrel MRP!) it was almost too much to bear.

I had no worries at all about beating Melbourne without Swan, but without Daisy... It's only the second time this year I've feared we could just possibly not win, although I still think we will win, it will be hard work. I HATE that!

Please CFC, sign the man! We need him desperately! The idea that we should be concentrating on flags rather than players is redundant, they are the same argument.

And Daisy, please, even though I don't believe you're thinking of leaving, tell your manager to get his finger out and get a deal done so you can concentrate on playing your best Footy with your best mates for the best side that ever existed! Remember, your real earnings will come after you retire, and the best thing you can do for that day is to be a 3 or 4 time Premiership player for the most famous team in the game.

There is only one Collingwood!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 am

Mossi wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Daisy will always give 100 per cent, regardless of who he's playing for. It's in his DNA. To stay a Pie he's going to have to turn down a shit load of money, so I just hope he can find enough other reasons to remain with Collingwood.

+1 I doubt we can keep him! On the other hand he has plenty of football ahead with us so I am going to sit back and enjoy it.

Given that they have a two year recruiting window, it wouldnt be ludicrous to think that a Thomas might sign on for lesser money with us in 2012 to go for three premierships in a row with the pies and then skip town for the money, particularly, if we appear unlikely to win 4 in a row. Presumably by 2013, the Suns will be an unstoppable force and will win multiple premierships.
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:07 am

This is all too true, I see no doubt that Demented-roo will hand both new teams a flag or 3 within half a dozen years. I guess most people think that teams are winning their first flag, or their first in fifty years purely by chance. But have a look at the Demetriou decade: After decades of Hawthorn, Carlton, Essendon, with the odd Adelaide or Kangas flag, suddenly Qld gets it's first flags, followed by a debut flag for Port, a debut flag for Sydney, One to keep WA happy, a first in many decades for G'long, a first in a long time for the rich folks in Hawthorn who are used to winning, a second flag in a century for StKilda... Oh dear, Collingwood stuffed that up! No doubt the doggies were supposed to break their drought too but got pissed instead! Very interesting set of flags indeed. Unfortunately for sides doing well through great recruitment, training, coaching and sheer hard work, the likes of GCS & GWS will need flags to sign up fans in a hostile market, so once again we might see Eddie looking very unhappy after a meeting with der Fuehrer, a la 2003...

We better win a few on end before the window slams shut!

They'll pay for that!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:24 am

The longer the parties fail to come to an agreement the more certain it is that Daisy goes.

The club should be moving heaven and earth to keep Daisy and it is NOT a distraction to the premiership. Different departments are looking after the contracts anyway.

Just get it done.

But a warning: If Daisy goes he can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. If he stays I will love him for ever!
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:27 am

How much prison time do you reckon a man might do if he blows up the GWS headquarters? With Sheedy in it! Wink
nulla 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:53 am

jack_spain wrote:
The longer the parties fail to come to an agreement the more certain it is that Daisy goes.

But a warning: If Daisy goes he can get stuffed as far as I'm concerned. If he stays I will love him for ever!

I am with you there Jack, once they remove themselves from wearing the black and white they loose all respect from me

The money might be good short term but in all honesty I think long term a genuine star player at Collingwood will be better looked after financially and have far better prospects for after footy employment and business life

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:53 pm

Daisy we cannot afford to lose, he and Pendlebury are the perfect partnership in the middle and without either our side would suffer

We however might still be able to win premierships, but definately not with the ease we are doing so now throughout the home and away season

Trouble is Daisy seems just the type to take the money...
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:16 pm

At the start of the year I thought to myself if our stars weren't signed up by the mid-year break there is trouble in paradise...

If it gets to say Round 14 or so and Daisy still hasn't signed I'll be preparing for the worst.

bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

Lifestyle...think about it?...Gold Coast great lifestyle. GWS?? FFS it is a hole. No amount of Money would entice me to move to Sydney or even worse Western Suburbs.

Daisy will stay.

Jock McHale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:47 pm

You don't actually have to live in Western Sydney though do you?
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:17 pm

Deja Vu wrote:

Travelling to Blacktown for training means he won't want to live too far away. Traffic in Sydney, especially going west is an absolute bitch!

My only real fear is his manager. Just don't trust this Connors guy and think that it will be him trying to tempt Daisy to take the money.

jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:20 pm

Deja Vu wrote:

That's the problem. A nice apartment overlooking Manly beach. Very tempting. Wink
mattd 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:01 pm

If we did happen to lose him, what would be the Likely
compensation? First round draft pick?

Deja Vu 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:53 pm

Connors is a stand up manager. He delivered us Jolly and Ball. And Taz too I believe?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 pm

bwphantom wrote:
Lifestyle...think about it?...Gold Coast great lifestyle. GWS?? FFS it is a hole. No amount of Money would entice me to move to Sydney or even worse Western Suburbs.

Daisy will stay.

Depends what life your after. I'd never live there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: