Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It's gonna get worse (before it gets better)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
[quote="Mugwump"]
Today has given clearer evidence of where we are - a good side with lots of promise, but lacking : an outstanding midfielder (God how I wish we'd got Judd!) ; a potent ruckman ; a mature, experienced big-bodied defender ; and a key focal point up forward when Pebbles is not out there. ...[/quote]

When they are fit - Josh, Pendles, Dids and Leon - our on ballers can match it with anyone. Today we paid the price for playing unfit players. Why did we do this? Because we have no depth.
Sometimes things dont happen for a reason.
Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:01 pm

it took murphy more then a few years to come good, he is having an outstanding season this year ( mainly because stevens and judd cop the tags anyway ) but he was just average his first couple, so i think our desire for a premier midfielder can still be found in pendles or thomo, pendles more realistically. gibbs has still done jack shit mind you. our prob will be with the loss of wakes and pebs, if reid/dawes comes good, the sack gets back into form, and we pick up a lucky decent midfielder with a mid range pick this year or next we might be just fine.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:01 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:
Thanks for the bump Mugwump. I don't think the truth of this thread will be truly revealed until probably midway through next year, but it's obvious that we are a much lesser side without Rocca and there's no way on earth he'll play until his mid-30s a-la Lynch. He is a week to week proposition now and the NFL beckons.

I think we're in a race against time. We might, just might, pinch one this year. If Rocca, Wakelin, Burns and Presti all go, guess what? They've got to be replaced and the kids who replace them will need to be good. That spells a couple of years development to me.

I agree we could have bottom out before we go Foward again

I don't think we will bottom out nor do we need to. No point considering the Gold Coast will get all the prize picks anyway.

We will still be a good footy team - Pendles, Daisy et al all in their prime and Didak, Neon etc the senior figures. My worry is we'll be a spine short of a skeleton.

die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:09 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Today has given clearer evidence of where we are - a good side with lots of promise, but lacking : an outstanding midfielder (God how I wish we'd got Judd!) ; a potent ruckman ; a mature, experienced big-bodied defender ; and a key focal point up forward when Pebbles is not out there. ...

When they are fit - Josh, Pendles, Dids and Leon - our on ballers can match it with anyone. Today we paid the price for playing unfit players. Why did we do this? Because we have no depth.

We have good competant kids in the Magoos, Rudeboy, but I fear the stand alone VFL side may well have shot their confidence to bits.

I approached two of the players today to get a signature for my daughters Team13 clinic certificate and the look I got was of two boys bracing for an earful. I said nothing. Just asked for an autograph and thank them politely, but it said a lot for the state of their confidence. Which, from were I sit, is completely shot to pieces at the moment.

The VFL guys have to run out on crap grounds in front of a handful of spectators. When they joined the club there was the promise of massive blockbusters, screaming fans and a massive spotlight. The VFL level is crap and frankly it is not worth putting your head over the ball.

What difference would it make to the up and coming kids if they played regularly at a ground like Victoria Park?

Cakewalk 

For a minute there I lost myself , I lost myself

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:35 pm

die4pies wrote:
[The VFL guys have to run out on crap grounds in front of a handful of spectators. When they joined the club there was the promise of massive blockbusters, screaming fans and a massive spotlight. The VFL level is crap and frankly it is not worth putting your head over the ball.

What difference would it make to the up and coming kids if they played regularly at a ground like Victoria Park?

I'm sure they realised they had to make the seniors for that to come true. If any of them weren't willing to put their head over the ball because the VFL level is crap and lacked sufficient atmosphere for them , they should just give up now and stop wasting everyones time.
In saying that I think a lot of them are struggling to compete , rather than feeling "above" playing in the competition.

rocketronnie 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:25 am

die4pies wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Today has given clearer evidence of where we are - a good side with lots of promise, but lacking : an outstanding midfielder (God how I wish we'd got Judd!) ; a potent ruckman ; a mature, experienced big-bodied defender ; and a key focal point up forward when Pebbles is not out there. ...

We have good competant kids in the Magoos, Rudeboy, but I fear the stand alone VFL side may well have shot their confidence to bits.

I approached two of the players today to get a signature for my daughters Team13 clinic certificate and the look I got was of two boys bracing for an earful. I said nothing. Just asked for an autograph and thank them politely, but it said a lot for the state of their confidence. Which, from were I sit, is completely shot to pieces at the moment.

The VFL guys have to run out on crap grounds in front of a handful of spectators. When they joined the club there was the promise of massive blockbusters, screaming fans and a massive spotlight. The VFL level is crap and frankly it is not worth putting your head over the ball.

Can Gavin Brown coach? I have serious doubts.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:50 pm
Post subject: Re: It's gonna get worse (before it gets better)Reply with quote

Pied Piper wrote:
Here's why it's going to get worse next year. It's becoming palpably obvious that Anthony Rocca is struggling to go on. He's kicked 50+ goals in the last two seasons, took more contested marks than anyone and still takes the opposition's best defender, but it's clear he won't get anywhere near that this year. His body is breaking down and anyone of the ilk of Scarlett, Glass et al easily has his measure. He is, I am afraid, in his last season.

After nearly a couple of weeks near-absence from this board, I thought I'd bring this thread back to life yet again. Yep, I just don't have that much new to say right now ...

But mainly I'm bringing it back because I think for the rest of this season, we're going to get an early taste of what life in 2009 might look like. After the Geelong match (where Anthony Rocca played one of his finest games and, contra what I wrote above, whipped Matthew Scarlett), I thought we just might, if we could somehow keep up that kind of football, be able to pull off a miracle this year.

Now here we are, about to face the Swans (a side the big Ant has pulverised in recent meetings), and while our season isn't exactly on the line yet, our credentials as contenders certainly is. And we're going to have to do it without the man who is, structurally, still our most important player. And not only that, but without Reid, who kicking flaws aside looked a real player in the making in the first half against Carlton three weeks ago. That muddies the waters a bit, because he was looking at a good solid run in the seniors to show us what he was really made of.

So, hang on to your hats folks: whatever happens at the selection table at 5pm today, you can bet that John Anthony and Chris Dawes will see senior action before this year is out - in the latter's case, whether he looks quite ready or not. Playing three ruckman isn't a genuine option. We're certainly not going to be tanking, but I dare say there's going to be a fair bit of experimenting with the line-up of this is side in coming weeks - especially down the spine.

Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:05 pm

Can't judge Browny for at least another season. Keep in mind this is the first year, virtually a brand new team. Will take at least this season and half of next before they work together properly.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:08 pm

rocketronnie wrote:

Can Gavin Brown coach? I have serious doubts.

Yes.

Outcoached Gary Ayres in round 1 to snatch an unlikely victory.
Has had nothing but bad luck ever since with a constantly changing list due to AFL committments and injuries.

I have a feeling the boys may finish off the year OK. Even a spot in the eight is not out of the question and who knows what will happen with a bit of luck.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:40 pm

Chad Liddell would have been a warrior like persona in the VFL side according to Phil Cleary!

www.facebook/the hybernators
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:55 pm

die4pies wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

We have some good players in the magoos, but none that are likely senior midfielders atm. We've been able to cover KPPs and half back flankers quite well, but there's no quality midfielders pushing up just yet.
Kingswood 

//

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:02 pm

^mccarthy,

and dyas may not be far off...

but yeh other than that not much. barham and co are exciting but still very raw
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:32 pm

Kingswood wrote:
^mccarthy,

and dyas may not be far off...

but yeh other than that not much. barham and co are exciting but still very raw

Next year I reckon, but not in 2008.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks PP for this thread and also to the many very well considered replies.
I have one concern STILL; how is it that so may good judges can still be so blinkered when it comes to Josh Fraser?

Josh to take Rocca's place at FF? Please! Anthony is a physical, pack-busting giant of a man and Josh is, well, Josh is......disappointing.
I saw Josh get outmarked, one-on-one by a pygmy of the game earlier this year, so a key position forward he aint.

But I am getting very, very excited; the Chris Dawes bandwagon is rolling again with turbo power. I really feel sorry for this kid; he's on a hiding to nothing. I really hope he does well.....but oh the expectation.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:04 pm

There is no need to pity me. I will be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8   

Jump to: